Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Soloist and other thoughts

This posting is running a bit late. I had gone to see 'The Soloist' this past Sunday and wanted to take some time to think about the film. First let me say that I truly enjoyed the performances of the main characters. The way they came across was amazing. Both Jamie Fox and Robert Downey Jr. are incredible talents. The subject matter however was one that does not allow easy answers.

Having worked with challenging people I found myself back to the time before I retired. I remembered all the co-workers who were going to change the world and the people in it. When that didn't happen they burnt out, became disillusioned and stopped trying. In many ways that was a sad occurrence. Much like the main characters they and myself played out our stories against the backdrop of challenges and disappointments.

I made it through twenty years and still have fond memories of those times. I also know that I never took the lack of success personally. I found out very early in life that you cannot control another human and when you try you simply hurt yourself. Now that does not mean that I didn't pass on information or offer to help. I am a firm believer in education and learning so that you can make informed choices. Sometimes people simply were not ready for a life change. Did it hurt to see people fail? Perhaps, but what is failure. My failure is not the same as that of others.

I recommend the movie for those who can watch not only great performances, but also for those who want to save the world. To me the film has a great message about that. What is it? See the movie and find out.

No comments: