Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Interview with Col. Chivington




Many people remember John Milton Chivington in connection to the 'Sand Creek Massacre' which took place in Colorado in November of 1864. What others may remember is his campaign during the Civil War and Glorieta Pass. The true story lies in the story of his life from his birth in 1821 and his death in 1894. Here is a short interview with the man himself as portrayed by Ken Oyer. 


Glorietta Pass, New Mexico, USA, 2012.jpg
Glorieta Pass 2012


Why did you come to Pikes Peak Region, and where did you locate?


As a Methodist minister, I was sent by the church, from Omaha, Nebraska, to Denver in 1860, where I served as a Presiding Elder in Denver's First Methodist Episcopal Church. 


As a side note, if you wish to know more about this church here is a link to a brief history:
http://www.stpauldenver.com/history-denvers-first-church-1860
What about your family life, your parents, your wife and children?
I was born on January 27, 1821 to a farm family in Lebanon, Ohio.  My father died when I   was only five years old and the burden of providing for the entire family fell to my mother     and older brothers. I married my first wife, Martha, in 1844, the same year I became a         minister.

How do you see yourself and what would you want your legacy to be?
I went to my grave standing by my decision and my actions at Sand Creek, a battle which eventually became my biggest burden in life and that ruined any political aspirations I had. I would prefer to be remembered as a Civil War hero for my actions at Glorietta Pass, New Mexico. I would also like to be remembered as a minister with enough bravery and passion to speak out against slavery in pro- slavery towns.

Any words you would like to share about your life not included above?
History will sometimes judge a man entirely based upon certain portions or aspects of his     life rather than the entire life; what that man did, or failed to do, can very well become his      legacy whether or not he wishes it. His legacy is not always his choice.

As Ken, what about Chivington do you find most interesting or complex?
I would have to say that I find it interesting (perhaps odd) that Colonel Chivington
could be a man of God and stand so vehemently against slavery, and yet find it in himself
to despise the Native Americans as much as he did.

Thank you Ken for taking the time to share you knowledge about this very interesting and controversial man. If you would like to hear more from Chivington, join him at the Historic Chapel in    Evergreen Cemetery, 1005 South Hancock Expressway, Colorado Springs, CO., on Sunday September 21 at 2 PM. Cost is $10 per person. For more information or to reserve  your seat, contact:  evergreencemeterysociety@yahoo.com
Historic Chapel, Evergreen Cemetery

No comments: