Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Just Made It #BlogABookScene



SO, the July's theme was:
Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer
Descriptors: summertime, sun, beach, water, ice cream social, box supper, starry nights, swimming, swimming hole, summer sports and activities, long days, sitting on the porch swing, lemonade, fishing

Amazon-Purchase Here


In "Never Had A Chance", the hero, Tom, is attending Maria's birthday/July4 celebration.

"Are you ready to dance with me?" she asked.
Tom softly replied, pushing his cane out in front of him, "I don't think the doctor would approve."
"Very well, I shall keep you company until the dance is over," Maria declared, unwilling to let the chance pass to spend time with him. And if things went well, she would be very happy.
"Are you sure that's a good idea? I don't think your father would approve. He may have accepted that I didn't try to harm you or himself, but he still doesn't trust me," Tom replied as he moved slowly away from Maria.
The farther he moved away, the closer she moved toward him, until her hand shot out, covering the one holding the cane.
"Come, at least you can eat, can you not?" Maria smiled, leading Tom slowly through the crowd toward the food tables.
The closer they came, the more Tom realized he really was hungry. He'd held back, concern for his hesitant host, keeping him from even remotely enjoying himself. It took the determined young woman at his side to pull him out of his self–imposed solitude.
"This all looks and smells so good. I do think there are some new things here for me to try." Tom laughed.
"Then I shall be your guide, answer any questions you may have. But first, you must have one of the green corn fritters, since you did not eat them when I brought them to your room," Maria grinned, pulling the food from the small basket she picked up from a servant. "They are from a family recipe, and I made them myself," just for you, she thought, as he took a bite.

Until next time!



Doris Gardner-McCraw -

Author, Speaker, Historian-specializing in
Colorado and Women's History
Member of National League of American Pen Women,
Women Writing the West,
Pikes Peak Posse of the Westerners

Angela Raines - author: Where Love & History Meet
For a list of Angela Raines Books: Here 
Photo and Poem: Click Here 
Angela Raines FaceBook: Click Here


4 comments:

Elizabeth Clements said...

Maria is a determined woman. I hope she gets her man. Story sounds intriguing, so I hope you'll post another teaser....

Renaissance Women said...

Of course. It is one of my favorite short stories. Doris

Kaye Spencer said...

I'm so glad you posted a #blogabookscene article. *hugs* I've been woefully negligent in doing these monthly posts. Your excerpt is perfect for summertime: dancing, socializing, eating, and a budding romance. I second what Elizabeth said. I hope you post more.

Renaissance Women said...

I do love these two. Their story is a short one, but how they get together was so much fun to write. Doris